Pages

PRADA MAGAZINE COUP?





So I was browsing my tumblr one night and came across yet another magazine featuring an editorial with Prada pieces. This was after I'd just received W magazine's May issue showcasing the S/S '14 Prada socks in the Gilt Trip editorial styled by Jacob K. I'd also previously seen an editorial dedicated entirely to the Prada collection in the March issue of Vogue Italia (featuring Ruby Aldridge and shot by her brother Miles Aldridge). I quickly started to see a pattern so I commenced research on where else Spring Prada was featured and voila, as you can see it's been everywhere from January covers to May editorials. Whoa. I don't think I've ever seen a single designer collection featured so often in fashion magazines across the board. Vogue draped models in the "iconic" digs on at least 10 of their international magazine covers. Who's running whom here? I understand that magazines make the bulk of their money from advertisements and such - is Prada paying for the recognition? Or is it that stylists were thinking that girls around the world would go googly-eyed for anything featuring the collection. We like shiny things, is that the reason? Are they trying to lure in readers with sparkly objects? I am really surprised. Personally, I'm disappointed in Vogue specifically. They're reach is huge and with all the other designers that showed for Spring they could've spread the love. Also, all the editorials are pretty and creative yes, but I feel like overall it's a let down. I don't need to see 50 interpretations of the same collection no matter how different the setting is.

Love you Miuccia Prada.

Vogue Korea April 2014 - Suvi Koponen ph. by Benny Horne
Styled by Ye Young Kim

Vogue Brazil March 2014 - Alessandra Ambrosio ph. by Mariano Vivanco
Styled by Yasmine Sterea

 Vogue Italia March 2014 - Ruby Aldridge ph. by Miles Aldridge
Styled by Cathy Edwards

    Vogue Australia February 2014 - Juliana Schuring ph. by Sebastian Kim 
Styled by Katie Mossman


Clockwise: W magazine Feb. 2014 ph. by Craig Mcdean
W magazine March 2014 ph. by Emma Summerton
W magazine March 2014 ph. by Steven Klein
W magazine's Edward Enniful for Prada's "The Iconoclasts" ph. by Emma Summerton

btw - there were MORE!

Vogue covers clockwise: Vogue Ukraine May, Vogue Korea April, Vogue Taiwan February, Vogue Japan April, Vogue Spain March, Vogue Germany January, Vogue Turkey February, Vogue UK March, Vogue Brazil March, Vogue Russia January

No comments:

Post a Comment